Essays are now being accepted for the 2017 A Bridge for Kids Essay Contest!
Essay Topic and Judging: Students may enter the 2017 A Bridge for Kids Essay Contest by submitting an original essay of 750 words or fewer describing their thoughts on the following:
A panel of volunteers will judge the essays and the winners will be picked based on the creativity, originality, clarity and overall impact of the essay.
Note: Deadline for entry is midnight on March 12th, 2017 with winners being announced the week of April 10th, 2017
2016 Essay Contest Winner – Kiara Gomez, The Preuss School, UCSD
2015 Essay Contest Winner – Andria Montgomery, Patrick Henry High School
2014 Essay Contest Winner – Virginia Reyes, The Preuss School, UCSD
2013 Essay Contest Winner – Laura Castro, The Preuss School, UCSD
2017 CONTEST RULES AND ELIGIBILITY
Contest Eligibility and Rules:
- Contest is open to all High School students who currently qualify for the government sponsored free and reduced lunch program.
- To apply, students must be currently enrolled in high school.
- Contestants are encouraged to discuss the essay topic with teachers, parents or other friends but must write the essay by themselves, in his or her own words.
- Essays must be 750 words or less and double spaced.
- Essays will be judged by a panel based on the creativity, originality, clarity and overall impact of the essay. Essays are judged blind, as all essays are assigned numbers and the panel will not have information (name or school) on the author.
- All essays must be accompanied by an A Bridge for Kids application (click here for rules and application). PLEASE NOTE that all essays must be in digital form (Microsoft Word or Google Docs preferred). No scanned essays will be accepted.
- Essays can be sent via email (preferred method) to firstname.lastname@example.org or can be mailed to: A Bridge for Kids 4445 Eastgate Mall- Suite #200 San Diego, CA 92121. Mailed entries must be postmarked no later than March 12, 2017.
- All winners will be contacted during the week of April 10, 2017.
- Winners must sign a photo release form prior to receiving their sponsorship.
- To learn more about what is covered by A Bridge for Kids sponsorship please visit our web site @ abridgeforkids.org and click on the “What We Do” tab.
Good luck to Duyen and our other 19 finalists!
Two more of our top 20 Finalists:
Mayerling Colin, a 9th grader from The Preuss School, UCSD
Alyssa Silva, Hilltop High School, Class of 2018